Wondering what all the hype is about essential oils? Well, essential oils have become a part of my daily life, and the lives of my extended family and loved ones. I have saved thousands of dollars on doctor visits and in many instances have been able to avoid taking pharmaceutical drugs for various ailments.
I also use the highest grade essential oils in my Steps2TrueHealth Reflexology practice. I diffuse various oils for relaxation and to kills germs during cold and flu season. I also incorporate essential oils into the reflexology session itself, on the feet. It elevates the sensory experience for my clients and they absolutely love it.
Hopefully some of the basic information I will be sharing in this blog will be of help to one or more of you who are just getting started into this fascinating and mysterious world of essential oils. Come on…dip your toe in the water! Before you know it, you’ll be jumping in with both feet and your life will become immersed in the healing powers of God’s nectar that He placed in all of the petals, leaves, bark and needles of the diverse array of botanicals that cover the earth.
SO WHAT ARE ESSENTIAL OILS?
Essential oils come in singles, blends of multiple oils, and many manufacturers use essential oils in products. Essential oils can be used for aromatherapy, personal care, or household solutions…every area of our day-to-day life can benefit from using essential oils.
WHAT WAYS CAN ESSENTIAL OILS USED?
Used aromatically, essential oils can lift the spirit…
- Rub 2-3 drops of essential oil between palms and inhale
- Add a few drops of essential oil to a bowl of hot water. Cover your head and bowl with a towel. Breathe deeply and slowly.
- Use essential oils in a diffuser
Essential oils are very powerful and potent and can be irritating to the skin. If irritation occurs apply any pure vegetable oil to the area to dilute. Some blends and citrus-based oils can cause photosensitivity.
- Place 2-3 drops of essential oil directly on the desired area and massage in. If uncertain where to apply, the bottoms of the feet are always a good place.
Not all essential oils can be used internally so be very careful. Even within a therapeutic-grade brand, not every essential oil is suitable for use internally. Once you have confirmed that your oil is okay to consume, there are several ways to get it down:
- Place several drops of oil into a gelatin capsule and swallow with water
- Add 1-2 drops of essential oil to a glass of water, juice, yogurt or plant-based milk and swallow
- Add 1-2 drops of oil (to taste) to meals when cooking